The general idea is to build a gamified branching-dialogue/graphic novel style onboarding/exploration of the Ethereum or wider Web3 space.
Why should this project exist?
Because explanations of these technologies are usually focused on technology itself & vague in terms of what it actually means for the user.
I think we need a fun way of introducing people to the space & sending them in different directions based on their background.
- If you’re an artist, it could send you to learn about NFTs.
- If you’re a finance person, it could send you to learn about DeFi.
- You get the idea.
Originally, I was inspired by this now 4+ years old website called whatthefuckisethereum where a user selects “I am X” & the explanation of Ethereum changes.
What it could be like
To give you a basic idea of what I have in mind:
Basically, the user would talk to an NPC & the NPC would take them to different places based on answers the user chooses.
One of our members (blake) made this mockup of what a later version could look like:
We can start simple:
- ask people why they are here, then send them in different directions based on a few answers
- give them a tl;dr on Ethereum, DAOs & send them to “explore the Great Houses”
- or send them to other guilds or the onboarding flow to MetaGame itself depending on what they want
- Compiled resources about DAOs, DeFi, NFTs & dApps
- A bunch of people to meet & start mapping the dialogue
- A builder or two interested in building it
- A project manager
- Later on, a designer to make it nicer (I think it should start text-based, either through a terminal-like interface or a discord bot)
- Basic outline of the branching dialogue
- Each branch written out in more detail
- Everything moved into ChatMapper for easy export to .lua (or directly into code, depending on builder wish)
This will help people deal with the chaotic self-onboarding of “everything is everywhere & I don’t even know what exists out there” & help them find their areas of interest in a more streamlined way.
- Only a few weeks left in 30ofWeb3.
- I think we should focus on a few archetypal paths & nail them instead of trying to predict many
- Implement a feedback loop so people can express if they haven’t found what they need & say what they were actually looking for or what they think about the whole thing
- To keep it manageable for now, I think we should focus on things & projects we already have. We can later expand by eg. sourcing more DAOs from DeepDAO’s API.
- Scope creep of this kind of top-down thinking & trying to implement every possible path
- It turns nobody wants this & everyone prefers the chaotic self-onboarding
Please choose a time to meet & discuss