Before you click, know the title is a bait.
I think SourceCred had a solid chance of being the future of work despite its several shortcomings, if it had focused on solving the UX/UI issues.
As it currently stands, its a project that nobody besides us is using (!nor maintaining), its a piece of MetaGame we’ve been pulling along & keep on putting effort into, without gaining much if anything.
Delayed distributions, ever unhappy contributors etc. etc.
After using SourceCred for almost 3 years & using Coordinape for about a month, here are my 2 cents.
Let me break it down:
- Its an abandoned project that nobody is maintaining, we’re stuck with a huge deprecating codebase that constantly needs to get fixed & updated just to stay operational
- We have very few active builders & their time is precious
- Integrating Coordinape into it means spending more time on something that doesn’t work & isn’t likely to survive
- Lack of proper UI for evaluating work & analyzing the contributions graph, leading to ever-present hacky solution of didathing, the need for a creditor & a visualization tool that never got built
- On the building side, its just quantification which is a crude measurement of value creation because not all commits & PRs are created equal
- On the other side, pushing everything through the whole-community-evaluation with 5 levels of rewards through emojis, crude evaluation + people with no context evaluating + disparity in XP weights with an appearance of emoji numbers
- Historically, people who were doing random stuff got over-rewarded, whether it was just writing a lot, writing a lot in didathing
- People who were doing things that carry the project forward have been getting underrewarded
- Just imagine the shitshow if we had more than 20-30 active contributors
- Plugging in Coordinape into SC & into didathing would mean builders getting double or triple dipped
- Forcing builders to all go through didathing would basically be forcing them to use a worse functioning system because theirs isnt available to others
- Increasing automatic tracking of everything by increasing weight on discord & discourse tends to reward people for talking. (PRs & commits aren’t all made equal but you can at least be sure they aren’t all talk)
- We can keep on talking about fine-tuning the weights but after 3 years still dont have anybody committed to doing it & ultimately:
- None of these solutions solve the core problems
- None of these solutions solve the fact SourceCred is an abandon project with an aging codebase
- SourceCred has been with us for so long & abandoning it would feel bad
- We’re the last carriers of SourceCred, if we had the resources to maintain it & take it to the next level, it could be a part of our product offering
- Doesnt require everyone to be added to a Coordinape team so it could be cool for community-wide rewards, as a base pay & as pay for people who aren’t active enough to join a team but still contribute from time to time
SourceCred vs Coordinape
- Posting in didathing feels like shit & induces anxiety because its like a huge community-wide scrutiny arena, whereas writing contributions in Coordinape feels natural & safe
- People with no context or understanding of different domains evaluating each other’s work ends up with bad evaluations & hurt feelings. In Coordinape, evaluations are team-based. Team members have most context into the work being done, how valuable or not valuable it is etc.
- Rewards being team-bound means we can more easily see who is not pulling their weight or not using the tool properly, who is being under-rewarded or over-rewarded & most importantly, we can more easily affect change
- Rewards being team-bound also means we can do some budgeting & stop the project from devolving into developing in a single dimension or disperse funds to meaningless contributions
- Coordinape’s UX/UI is really smooth & straightforward. It requires no debugging headaches & technical people to set it up. I can recommend it to people without 50 caveats.
- Distributing Seeds through Coordinape took a whopping total of 10 minutes & went without a hiccup.
I love SourceCred.
Its been an integral part of MetaGame for the past 2+ years & it definitely does have its upsides.
If we had millions of dollars in our treasury & dozens of builders, it would be cool to have a few builders dedicated to it fully time, build the creditor etc.
Coordinape works damn well & seems to be working on more integrations for automatic tracking of contributions. If we really want a tool that quantifies shit, there are other projects working on solutions.
I think we should fully transition to using Coordinape & pause (probably permanently) SourceCred distributions.
New problem: what happens to XP?
We maintain the XP system. Imo we should simply make it an abstraction of how many Seeds a person has received from the multisig. Number of Seeds * 36 or whatever random number.
To me, honestly, it really seems the costs far outweigh the benefits at this point.
Did I miss anything? Redeeming factors? Reasons not to abandon SourceCred for Coordinape?