Rika Goldberg to Champion MetaMedia

Update January 12 2023

After reading comments on the proposal (thank you @Web Three ProphetšŸ™ @katerinabc @:octopus: peth), talking to @Cami, and to Yalor (from MetaCartel & MetaGame), Iā€™m hearing that there is a BIG need for more collaboration, energy, and excitement.

Personally, I am feeling a push to work on something impactful ā€“ work that can impact thousands of people ā€“ and, in the spirit of MetaGame, work that will help peopleā€™s lives and their communities. In order to achieve this, we need to get clear on who our audience is and what they need. We need to create playbooks that will be extremely useful and will help people solve real problems in their lives and in their work.

Now for the fun part, the HOW. How do we create extremely useful playbooks that will help people solve real problems?

We need to COLLABORATE. (We canā€™t do this alone). We need to generate A LOT OF ENERGY & EXCITEMENT. We can do this by creating a PLAYBOOKS COMPETITION. The winners will be given grants to write Playbooks but the competition itself will be to conduct user research and understand what Playbooks are NEEDED. (We can craft details later).

Okay, now for the VERY fun part: collaboration! Because, remember, we canā€™t do this alone. So we will work with other DAOs (Gitcoin, Bankless, etc.) to MATCH grant funds. Letā€™s really up the ante here and incentivize HIGH-QUALITY playbooks!

TL;DR

The overarching goal is to grow and evolve MetaMedia. And, very importantly, to set it on a path towards sustainability. We have identified Playbooks as a critical component of the MetaMedia system that can help us to achieve growth and sustainability. Our plan consists of three subgoals:

1. Fund creators outside of the MetaFam ecosystem by giving them grants to write Playbooks
  2. Provide Playbooks-as-a-Service to DAOs
  3. Secure sponsorships

The expected impact of each subgoal is as follows:

1. Grow audience i.e, most people who write Playbooks today already have large audiences. This means that writing for MetaMedia is an opportunity for MetaGame to reach a new audience (the writerā€™s), and for the writer to reach a new audience (MetaMediaā€™s).
  2. Generate revenue i.e, MetaMedia will charge $X to write a DAO playbook. A % will be used to pay the
    writer and a % to pay the Ops team.
  3. Make the sustainability flywheel possible i.e, Sponsorships will provide the $$ to make (1) and (2) possible.

Of course, there are already ā€œDAO media machinesā€ out there that write playbooks, but our unique value proposition is that Playbook writers will have the option to turn their Playbook into a micro-course on MetaGame, unlocking additional benefits.

What I want to achieve over the next Season (3 months)

• Develop content strategy to keeping moving MetaMedia forward
  • Source new contributors from the broader DAO ecosystem (outside of MetaFam) to contribute content to MetaMedia (newsletters, videos, playbooks)
  • Generate revenue (sponsorships, selling ad space, Mirror NFTs)

Moonstone #1 - (first-month milestone)

• Establish relationship with 2-3 independent content creators (outside of MetaFam) to source their content in newsletter
  • Work with Playbooks pod to help source Playbooks content creators

Moonstone #2 - (second-month milestone)

• Establish partnership with 1-2 DAOs (e.g., Bankless, A Guild in MetaGuild) and source their content in newsletter
  • Work with Playbooks pod to publish 1-2 playbooks (e.g., work with A Guild in MetaGuild)

Moonstone #3 - (third-month milestone)

• Secure 1-2 new sponsors
  • Secure 1-2 ad space sales

Why this is important for MetaGame

• Peth has expressed the need for MetaGame to scale up to meet the needs of a growing, evolving DAO audience and to get MetaMedia on a path towards sustainability
    • This requires sourcing creators from the broader DAO ecosystem (outside of MetaFam)
    • This requires building relationships and entering partnerships with DAOs outside of the MetaFam ecosystem
  • Peth will be focusing on fundraising so he needs help with the above

Why am I the right person for it

• Iā€™m a content creator and contributor to several DAOs. I am also a MetaCartel member.

How might I fail at it

What might go wrong, how I might fail or why I might give upā€¦

• Strategy and forming relationships is hard. The tasks at hand are nebulous and the work will require lots of micro adjustments to achieve the goals.

What Iā€™ll need help with

• I will need help from bridge builders (Peth, MGā€™s Bridge Builder Champion, & others) who have experience forging relationships.
  • I will also need a mastermind/brainstorming partner to help me think through content strategy and making $$$

What I hope to get out of it

• I want to get better at content strategy & dao relationship building.
  • Pay is TBD

I pledgeā€¦

• I am currently able to commit roughly 16 hours per week to MetaGame.
  • I pledge to regularly report my progress, let others know when I canā€™t & gracefully step down from my championing role if/when I have to. (this part you can just copy paste instead of writing your own)
7 Likes

Glad to read this proposal. Just some points:
-AFAIK, thereā€™s no estimable $ to propose to content creators. They would need to be onboarded to MG so they participate in our game.
This is key to the philosophy of MetaFam. We are experimenting an alternative path of living, contributing, rewarding.

Telling someone you do X and we pay u Y is not what we are looking to explore. Unless MG decides to throw away years of experimenting with this pathā€¦

It sounds difficult, but the content creators will win a great experience in being part of the MetaFam. I vouch for that.

HOWEVER,
I think the idea of Playbooks as a service to DAOs is explorable. That would enable to test your strategy. Maybe that was your thought since the start and it was not clear to me :person_shrugging:

Getting a fixed amount from a DAO, then distributing that amount within a unit of business within the MF would be interesting. I suggest that CoordinApe could be used within the team that gets the task. AND that a % goes to MFā€™s treasury, so that it keeps the whole machinery running.

Those are my 2 satoshis. Looking forward to what others think about this.

2 Likes

During the content align call on Tuesday the point was made that there are enough content writers in MetaFam ready to contribute, if the workflow for publishing content is working and not constantly (?) changing. Hence, Iā€™m wondering if you need to establish new relationship or rebuild old ones. Both are hard to do.

3 Likes

I highly doubt this tbh, people like to say ā€œwe have everyone we need hereā€ but every time I try eg. @writer, crickets :joy:
I think we should try to activate some of the people we have but also that we should be collaborating more with other DAOs, eg. PageDAO, PubDAO or Wordsmiths from Raid Guild.

I disagree, from day 1 the goal was to build a ā€œDecentralized Factoryā€, meaning we should be collaborating with a lot of other DAOs & not just trying to force everyone to join MetaFam.
Also, collaborating with someone on their own terms is a good way both for them not to disappear as well as onboarding them to MetaGame later. :person_shrugging:

If MetaMedia (or other working groups) finds a sponsor, they should be able to allocate $ however they want, to distribute through Coordinape, to put up fixed amount bounties or whatever.
But Seeds themselves should go through Coordinape, unless a specific proposal to use them otherwise is put up.

I understand some of what I just said goes against what I was saying a year ago but Iā€™d say the years of experimenting with this path led us to conclude telling people ā€œjoin us, start contributing & youā€™ll eventually get paid but we canā€™t tell you how muchā€ is not an effective strategy for getting contributors :joy:

I still believe ā€œgive firstā€ is a great philosophy & the above strategy is great at getting people who are exclusively intrinsically motivated (or just have nothing to lose) but, in crypto especially, people need some trust before they can take that leap of faith & not fear getting scammed. Having fixed bounties & contract should allow us to build that trust with ā€œexternalā€ contributors before getting them to join MetaFamā€¦

4 Likes

Hi Katerina! Sorry for my delayed response. I wrote up my thoughts on Strategy here MetaMedia Playbooks Strategy - HackMD

1 Like

The following sections are included:

1. Reflections on the Last Season
  2. A Post Mortem on the Last Season
  3. Looking Ahead: My Plans for Season 10

Reflections on the last Season (Season 9)

Last Season, when @peth asked me to Champion MetaMedia, and I accepted, there were some assumptions and expectations about the role and what I should focus on.

The focus was to be on Playbooks. This was an area that the Content team put a lot of time and effort into. But despite creating many playbooks, they gained little traction.

Why?

The biggest reasons seem to be: 1) a focus on quantity over quality; and 2) a lack of (focused and cohesive) collaboration with projects and people in the broader DAO ecosystem.

My proposal last season planted the seeds for bringing more collaborative energy and excitement to MetaGameā€™s Playbooks.

My overarching goal was to grow and evolve MetaMedia.

The subgoals were: 1) Fund creators outside of the MetaFam ecosystem by giving them grants to write Playbooks 2) Provide Playbooks-as-a-Service to DAOs 3) Secure sponsorships

A Post Mortem

I wrote in my Season 9 proposal:

Of course, there are already ā€œDAO media machinesā€ out there that write playbooks, but our unique value proposition is that Playbook writers will have the option to turn their Playbook into a micro-course on MetaGame, unlocking additional benefits.

My first attempt to execute on this was by submitting a proposal on MetaCartel MetaMedia Chili Pod - šŸ”„ DAO Proposals - šŸ¤© MetaCartel Forum to form a chilipod and acquire grant funding for new Playbook writers. Unfortunately, MetaCartel members lacked confidence in our ability to execute so the proposal didnā€™t pass.

Nonetheless, Yalor connected me with the DAO Research Collective team and the opportunity became clear: use their peer-reviewed article on Decentralization to create a series of Quests (i.e, a mini cohort based course) that people could complete for years to come.

So I organized a Quest Chains Squad: DAO Research Collective to get to work. I wanted to pay the team working on this so I applied for a DAOPunks Grant see application here. Unfortunately I did not get the grant despite DMā€™ing and getting the votes of several DAO Punks NFT holders. Cā€™est la vieā€¦

The path forward was then to move forward without external grant funding (at least for the time being).

A lot of drama ensued between people on the squad. Although it was a distraction, it also shook things up and the people who were truly interested and engaged in the project stayed.

During the Season, I also experienced two overarching pain points of MetaGame: 1) inexperienced people taking on work they are not qualified to do; and 2) people who promise to deliver but then go MIA.

In an effort to hold people accountable, I will say that @ALKOHLMIST is someone who promised to deliver, starting on some tasks, and then ghosted me.

My Plan for Season 10

In order of priority

1. Continue focusing on Playbooks and making progress on the DAO Research Collective Quest Chains Squad. We have our first build in public session scheduled for next week. Thank you @Musashi13 for pushing on this session to take place.

2. Dive into the tech work weā€™ve done with Ceramic & ComposeDB. @alec connected me with the team and Iā€™ll be writing a post on our offering and co-marketing it with the 3Box Ceramic/ComposeDB social media team.

3. Stay plugged into social media strategy (Twitter, Lens, Lenstube). This will probably tie into #2.

In addition, I will continue to help @peth with fundraising, reaching out to contacts from ETHPorto, as well as working on some tokenomics stuff. Although this work is not Content related, I am drawn to it given my experience and skillset and itā€™s very important to the sustainability and health of MetaGame.

I will close out by saying that optimizing for revenue and $$ is a trap.We should always prioritize for building high quality products, having a healthy community, and keeping people engaged. In parallel, we need to think about and act on treasury management and tokenomics because, well, $$ makes the world go round.

2 Likes

ayyye

thanks for the accountable mention! :heart:

I read and took notes on the article and started mulling over what the quest chain would be like and it not feel just like a pop quiz.

thatā€™s where I got stuck but I see now the direction youā€™re going in and really appreciate the copious backlog of notes youā€™ve taken for me to catch back up, follow the bread crumb trail.

Iā€™ll be jumping in more now and helping since I can more clearly see the vision for what the quests will be.

I think I was stuck on making a HIGH level version of this quest based on what we initially talked about (also felt like a lot of pressure for meh smol brain to wrap around that DRC article solo), i.e. practice different levels/kinds of decentralization by providing proof of you voting/working in a DAO with token votes, 1/1 voting, and quadratic voting/funding, running a node, etc. some real polarpunklabs, Dr. Paul Dylan-Ennis type ish. Then compare and contrasting the spectrum of decentralization they experienced DAOing those things in various projects.

Will contribute to the notion docs and attend the next calls w/ya for sure :+1:

also with content creation have felt like Iā€™ve been in a bit of onboarding limbo/unclear of my player status as just an engaged octoā€¦ So I was pursuing/getting distracted by alternative ventures.

Would be nice to have ceremonies, some kind of ritualized thing in discord calls/articles/videos for memorializing peopleā€™s progression into MG.

ā€œWould be nice to have ceremonies, some kind of ritualized thing in discord calls/articles/videos for memorializing peopleā€™s progression into MG.ā€

@ALKOHLMIST Agreed! We started to host build in public sessions 2x/week to work on the DAO Research Collective Playbook. Check out Events in the Discord.

1 Like