Quests are one of the essential features of rpgs, so it would make sense to implement them in a slightly more interactive way in our ever-developing MetaOS. Luckily a lot of work has already been done in this regard, but unfortunately it was left unfinished. Since I continued where paco left off with the implementation of quests in MetaOS, peth suggested that I might as well pick up the champion role, which IMO would require me to have:
- insight into the current state of the questing system
- a clear vision on what we want to achieve with the implementations of quests in MetaOS
- a clear plan on how to achieve that
1. Current state
Resources are currently available in notion and on github.
There is a bunch of specs that are either ideas or implemented to some degree. Paco has done a lot of work, which will serve as a foundation of what we want to build.
The quest paths which are defined in notion are well put together, but are not interactive and they are not very discoverable. It took me a couple of months to find the Quest board, but I think it’s very important to introduce new players to it asap.
I would like to unify onboarding with questing, along with automated attribution of xp in MetaOS by rethinking the UX. The idea is to create an engaging questing system that would provide users with a gamified onboarding guide and help them graduate into players.
3. MVP proposal
If we are to build a web3 onboarding machine, we need to figure out how to do it properly. I first aim to complete the basic functionality of quests, which includes
- display of completed quests in user profiles & dashboard
completion via props in the discord channel
- this might require the creation of additional channels for different quest types
- filtering of quests based on given roles (Artists, Builder, Rainmaker, etc…)
This, in turn, will enable us to start implementing the warm up quests, which will be available for every new user after they set up their account.
After the completion of warm up quests, one will be able to start doing the quests which pertain to their selected role path.
When they complete a given % of the path, they will gain access to the rest of the quests, which are currently listed in the Quest board.
In short: gradually we’d move the quests out of notion into MetaOS.
4. Future iterations
After we are done with implementation of the stuff I proposed in #3, we are free to play around with:
- multiplayer quests
- integration with MetaCollab (@dan13ram, @tenfinney)
- integration with achievements (@luxumbra)
5. What would I need
I would very much like to work together with a focused team of people, so at least one designer (@dave?) and one to two additional builders. If you are interested, please let me know!
- Path quests: https://meta-game.notion.site/88ce34ac198b49d1bf3934edb3be2a4c?v=eda2d7adca8f4a3a9a0c57abff5d213d
- Warm up quests: https://meta-game.notion.site/Warm-up-Quests-outdated-f0186959a1804fae935d84c5c140a21c
- Quest board: https://meta-game.notion.site/Quest-Board-WIP-0b85cd7549bc4227bbc0f5e4d413edf6
- Quests spec by paco?: https://meta-game.notion.site/Quests-bc8d3bcb6491493a879b9adc3a4f4938
- First PR by paco: https://github.com/MetaFam/TheGame/issues/290
- github quest issues: https://github.com/MetaFam/TheGame/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Aquests