Proposal Draft: 6 Months Plan 2 Go Pro

Note: This mostly focuses on what needs to be done in terms of the technology & content for MetaGame-as-a-platform.

I still think community is the critical aspect. I still think producing other content like the podcast & playbooks is important. But I also think that none of that will be enough if we don’t put the pieces together into an actual platform & raise more money to pay more people.

What seems to me to be the case is that all great projects either start as a product & then build a community around it, or start as a community & then build a product around it - but you kind of need both to stay sustainable long term.

So far, we’ve mainly been a great community. But there are many great discord communities & we’ve already been losing lots of high impact contributors over time to DAOs that are making more impact in actually doing things, rather than just being great communities.

I think there are 2 main ways we could go from where we are at currently.
We could…

• keep on being a great community & a project that people work on in spare time
  • or we can try to nail some things & go pro

This post proposes the latter.

Season VI (now - June 21st)

Mission critical

• Onboard more builders, a project manager & a MyMeta steward
  • Onboard more DAOs, explore more collaboration opportunities with existing & integrate more things into MyMeta & MetaOS (eg. DAOhaus DAO updates on the dashboard)
  • Fix the patrons leaderboard
  • Integrate a few members-only features
  • MyMeta polished & new pieces added
    • Profile photo as one of the steps
    • Upgrade single page edit
    • Add social verification
  • MyMeta adopted by X communities
  • Finish the onboarding quests
  • Update the wiki
  • Put up a great MetaFest2

Nice to have

• MyMeta contracting
  • Polygon & xDAI NFTs
  • Guided tour of MetaOS

Season VII (June 21st - September 23rd)

Mission critical

• Finalize all the info for patrons (why, new deck, tokenomics & perks)
  • Make a new page for patrons with Seed subscriptions
  • Migrate quests from Notion into MetaOS
  • Prepare for the fundraise
  • Open roles inside MetaOS
  • Web3 Onboarding Game v1

Nice to have

• pSeed staking?

Season VIII

• Make a season VIII roadmap
  • Do a proper fundraise
2 Likes

Working on it with Dalila, Murillo (recruiting) and with Misanth, Daniel Ospina, and Doug Kirkpatric (onboarding).

Working on creating a great Job Fair experience with TenFinney.

Let’s get it done!!

NOTE:
We need to lvl up also regarding product launching. Pls everyone consider attending the workshop on product launching: https://discord.com/channels/629411177947987986/782065879923294248/961360050809634866
Add ur availability here: https://lettucemeet.com/l/j5lK8

2 Likes

If we migrate the quests to DAOQuest, i think both initiation quests and role selection quests can be done much sooner than by the end of season 8. we will just have to make sure to tweak/enable the following essential missing parts:

• bind the quest chains to a DAO
  • enable editing of quests & quest chains
  • display completed quests in the MyMeta profile

would be really nice to have:

• mint NFTs and award them as badges of quest chain completion
  • make DAOQuest integratable into MetaOS

This is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but my first thoughts are:

You used the term “Mission Critical”.

What is our mission? What makes these critical to it?

1 Like

Displaying “accepted quests” on the dashboard might be even more important than displaying “finished quests” on the profiles though both seem fairly important.
My main concern will probably remain the inconsistency in the design though. It kind of breaks the UX + will make it seem to the investors that we’re either using a 3rd party app rather than built it ourselves or that we fail at coordinating internally…

This is mostly based on the assumption that we will want to do another fundraise, which directly explains things like “fix the patrons leaderboard” & “integrate a few members-only features” & indirectly, “onboarding more DAOs” & “integrating their stuff” (creating value for the wider ecosystem).
Other than that, don’t think I have to explain stuff like “onboard more builders” or “update the wiki” (a lot of outdated posts on there).

In terms of MyMeta specifically, “profile photo as one of the steps” I think makes sense as its one of the basic pieces, “add social verification” because its a part of Ceramic but currently no way to do it through MyMeta (I don’t care even if its just linked to self.id, as long as there’s some way to get to it) & “upgrade single page edit” simply because its fairly ugly as it hasn’t been designed but just built directly with no input from Dave or any designer.

Overall, I’d say our current mission is still building this connective tissue & helping the DAO ecosystem but with more focus of improving & polishing what we have rather than doing more new things.

Is there anything that you think shouldn’t be there? Or anything that’s missing?

1 Like

I had this same feeling. I am constantly going back and forth between wanting to keep my involvement with MetaGame light and as a hobbyist, but it seems like it could be more than that. There are frameworks that allow for it but those require a different structure and ones that are not very well understood, especially by “anarchist cats”. Sourcecred was a good example of how good things can go bad under that type of structure.

For example (and I am sure there are many more) Protocol Labs (PL) is a legal business whole decided that Sourcered would be a darling and really wanted to help in developing a new type of reward system and wanted to support it. @Decentralion Mane really articulated it well here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVTqRLekRl4

So the logical thing (and probably at the request of PL) was to have Sourcecred start a Limited Liability Company (LLC) and then to take PLs funds and operate a business. The way it worked was the “players” got rewarded in SourceCred Grain, and the LLC members paid themselves from the LLC funds. Well, ultimately the LLC started spending all the money on themselves as “salaries”, and when the latest round was all spent and there was no more in the fund. When LLC members pay themselves $5-10k per month with no other source income to support an entity, an empty pot comes pretty quick.
Recenlty, some LLCers then “fell in love” with CredEquate (which is substantially different then CredRank) and then members decided it was time to wrap up the LLC. As one put it, they did not want to feel like they were “embezzling” PLs funds to start/work on something that was in essence different from SourceCred’s original mission (not sure that PL would have felt the same, but I saw it as a way for them to justify the wind-down).

So in reality, even those in SC got the money dropping in from PL, there was never a workable (from what I could tell) plan to actually make money as a business. It was only spending the money on themselves supposedly to further the sustainability and adoption of SC CredRank.

So we are potentially in that same position, but ahead of PL-like patrons coming in and trying the same thing. Even if we were to start a business somewhere in the world and follow all the protocols of employment laws, taxation, international business rules etc etc. There is no guarantee that we would not follow down the same road of emptying the pot as quick as possible.

It’s the money that actually can corrupt a system, and if not careful, even break it, making those involved maybe even worse off than if they were never involved.

I spent several hours going through about one-year of discussions, docs, github, Miro boards, initiatives, budgeting talks, following hyperlinks from SC Discord and could clearly see when the honeymoon was over, the moneypot was emptying quickly, and a winding down the LLC was inevitable. And the #1 thing being discussed in SC was not the product anymore, but only more payouts and tax liability. Game Over.

But all hope is not lost. MetaGame has a chance to use that as a example of how not to do it, but it does not tell us how the get a bunch of talented people all over the world with varying skill levels to keep moving toward something.

Unfortunately, without the money part, there is no way to support the initiatives we believe in.

@alec although you said “tounge in cheek” but it’s kind of “right on the money”. SC failing was that they only cared about a narrow line (payment to themselves and SC code) and there was not equal weight on sustaining it outside PL and Juan Benet. If there was a leader in SC, that laid down the objectives, and the entire staff, hell or high water, followed that path either out of fear of being thrown overboard, then it’s cats running all around. Which is fun for the cats, but not for sustaining a entity.

Either the initiatives are laid out clear, like in a top-down hierarchy and the players follow them, or they can just keep doing what they want because it’s fun. Business in not very fun, but it’s structured. MetaGame at this point is caught somewhere in between.

Just like Protocol Labs to SourceCred. SourceCred had/has a LLC for some people, and their system for the contributors was a secondary system (Grain). That doesn’t seem completely fair or just, but it was a good test. Hopefully we can do something better.

4 Likes

If we migrate the quests to DAOQuest, i think both initiation quests and role selection quests can be done much sooner than by the end of season 8. we will just have to make sure to tweak/enable the following essential missing parts:

• bind the quest chains to a DAO - not prioritised
  • enable editing of quests & quest chains - mostly complete
  • display completed quests in the MyMeta profile - up next

Editing of quests and quest chains is already implemented, we just need to take care of adding/removing wallets from roles.

Displaying “accepted quests” on the dashboard might be even more important than displaying “finished quests” on the profiles though both seem fairly important.
My main concern will probably remain the inconsistency in the design though. It kind of breaks the UX + will make it seem to the investors that we’re either using a 3rd party app rather than built it ourselves or that we fail at coordinating internally…

We are thinking about and discussing the possibilities of enabling an API/SDK for integration of the questing system into any app, thus letting anyone else decide on the UI. After all of the missing features will be complete, we’ll tackle this next and focus on integrating the app into MetaOS.

As mentioned on the Champs call, this should be possible with some collaboration with @dysbulic & @tenfinney on what they have been building for the Achievements raid. :+1:

This is up at chiev.es.