Metagame Community Gathering 3/5/2021
• Scribe: DefileZebra
• Attendees: Misanth, mprime, Metaverde, Sparrow, eowulia, dysbulic, TheLoneRonin, luxumbra, Bagholder Mcfomo III, Tommy, , penguin, MLIBTY, VanillaDelphia, Avalon, Peth
• Misanth led a discussion about Visual Expression
Visual Expression with @Misanth !
• Visual Expression with Misanth!
◦ Thinks of Visual Expression as a way you can put things into the world
◦ Example mural of Whale with a bunch of garbage in it
makes you think
◦ Banksy and imitators
Socialist versus Renaissance Architecture
Oppressed versus encouraged to express themselves
◦ We watched this together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifOWvpSqBY4
◦ MetaVerde: nightmare Elk in Portland
◦ Visual Art can be anything
◦ Penguin: Artists visual style and colors used says a lot about them. Non-Verbal communication can be accomplished with color
◦ Misanth: can really instill a certain emotion through imagery
◦ Saturation in film
◦ frame rates can have impact on creating emotion
◦ CocaCola- experimenting with single frame and selling popcorn.
Penguin: This can be easily weaponized against us.
• Trust in Realty
• hunger at McD’s
◦ Tommy,: Mentioned a billboard advertisement in Costa Rica for Covid encourage you to stay inside. Body bag with a foot sticking out with a body tag.
◦ VanillaDelphia: EU and Canada cigarette packs
Sparrow: Studies show that gross image campaign hasn’t made any difference to smokers. Nothing has been more impactful than banning indoor smoking.
◦ Someone mentioned tax increases as a deterrent
Sparrow pointed out that if a Government really cared about health it could make smoking illegal full stop. They won’t do it because of money, the loss of tax revenue.
Bagholder: How unattractive those photos were had them keeping smokes in the pocket instead of out on the table. Wonders if that influenced habits, out of sight out of mind?
Penguin: Visual imagery attached to cigarette packs can have more impact on those around them versus the smoker. “Daddy is that going to happen to you?” That has impact.
Bagholder: Ostracization. Self-exile could have additional impacts for the smoker.
Tobacco companies using color instead of “light”, blue now equals light.
MetaVerde: On the topic of Color, example from Antique Road Show. Dyed black curtain. A famous Quilt making machine at some point went into a phase of dying everything black.
Masters of communication through architecture were the Soviets.
◦ Misanth: When does a meme become propaganda?
Or is it from the start?
Metaverde: What isn’t propaganda anyway?
Penguin: anything trying to change a way of thinking is propaganda
◦ Car Accident/Death Memorials
Communicates to others that this is a dangerous section of road
Happens organically, there was no campaign
◦ Tommy,: Costa Rica has the ‘~Mountain of Death’. Not because of cars. Coffee transport to the Ocean and was very dangerous.
◦ Misanth: if everything is propaganda, all we can do is pick who we want to brainwash us.
◦ Penguin: power of images. In donut economics discusses that pictures are infinitely more impactful than words. Original econ books had no pictures.
◦ (I missed the speaker here) You don’t have to passively accept what propaganda you accept. You can choose what you take in visually and orally, and how it affects you. More complicated than food, bit esoteric but this can be worked on.
◦ News is often simply trying to induce a reaction
◦ Misanth plays the Promo video with sound!
◦ Other videos shared in townhall during the discussion about Visual Communication:
• Bagholder: After a few days off, coming back to discord and feels disconnected. Idea to help combat this by something. Memey weekly newsletter in a single image as a weekly update.
◦ Visual explainer. Similar to chainlog but for discussions.
◦ Maybe we should have a Dedicated lurker role that does an update like this.
◦ Vanilla: Proposed a scribe for each house?
◦ DefileZebra: This really sounds like Champions Ring.
◦ Sparrow and Uranus working on metarizal network and that will be a big help
• Penguin answers some questions about Champions Ring
◦ Monday meeting and sync up with leaders
◦ task and leadership based rather than playing the game
◦ mprime: Champions Ring is accessible to anyone if they can commit to lead a project
◦ Penguin: These leadership roles are often taken rather than given.
• Bagholder: Observed that embassies are top position in the discord but there is not much communication through them.
• Penguin: Bridging with embassies could be more effectively used
◦ Would have to post messages in each guild one at a time rather than like an announcement
◦ We are limited to just 10 announcement channels by discord
◦ after MetaFest we can look at potentially reconfiguring webhooks to allow announcements to scale.
• When it comes to Discord and structure there are plenty of opportunities to improve
◦ Still the same human capital and still limited by our availability