Help Peth turn 3K into More Money (conference = business expense)

yeah that would make sense financially

I believe that ETH denver is a MUCH bigger event, like 10-20x bigger. I could be wrong there but that is my impression.

Per this proposal:

1. a payout split where 50% of expenses are covered in-advance and the remainder is covered upon completion of agreed-upon results/metrics/milestones.

What can you agree to as far as results / metrics? Some things are hard to quantify but I think we need some tangible evidence

3 Likes

Agree with this

Yeah, Iā€™ve thought about this when she told me about the proposal, it makes complete sense on the surface but I think I should really go there personally to renew connections with existing patrons & guilds, get introduced to new potential patrons by them etc.
I also have 3 years of explaining MetaGame & full context of the fundraise, everything we did, what we plan on doing etc. & Rika has been with us for about 3 weeksā€¦

1 Like

@vid totally, that would make sense except that EthDenver will have a lot of OGs, people who already are familiar with MetaGame. It would be weird for Peth not to be the face of MetaGame there. EthPorto, on the other hand, will have people who have never heard of MetaGame, so it wonā€™t make any ears perk up to see me instead of Peth representing MetaGame.

2 Likes

@alec Totally agree about tangible evidence. My preliminary thoughts are: 1) a roladex of contacts/investors to follow up with and schedule meetings with after the conference, since fundraising takes time; 2) a write-up of what attendees are talking about and where money seems to be flowing (i.e., Intel); 3) a list of potential new Players, scouted at the hackathon, as well as Partners

Iā€™m definitely open to more suggestions. Anything you think I missed?

1 Like

@b0gie @vid I will put together a cost estimate tomorrow. The flight will be the most expensive part but lodging, food, and transportation cheaper than the US.

2 Likes

@b0gie @vid @dysbulic

Hereā€™s a more detailed cost estimate (5 days):
Flight: ~1k
Lodging: ~$350
Food: ~$250
Transportation: ~$50

Total: ~$1,650

Ultimately, this trip is cheaper than I originally thought and ~40-50% cheaper than @peth 's ETHDenver expenses.

2 Likes

I completely agree with the everything youā€™re saying.
@peth has to go :slight_smile: :100:

I was only šŸŽ'n in bc @vid brought up a pretty solid point.
playing geography in our favour and stuff, could mean more
players at these events and stuff which sounds super coolā€¦in my head :sweat_smile:

1 Like

$1,650 is reasonable for 5 days and I believe would help push MetaGameā€™s presence/agenda with @peth there.

2 Likes

As I was involved in Peth solidifying the idea of asking to fund his trip, I know it was more of an exception than a rule to set as precedent for everyone else. Heā€™s the most prepared person to talk about the history and future of MetaGame, and heā€™s already travelled to fundraise without asking MG to cover for his expenses.

That said, as much as people supported MGā€™s vision in the beginning, itā€™s been 3 years and this tells a story. Promises have been made, and theyā€™re now able to see if they were fulfilled or not, or how others have executed on some of the ideas MetaGame was sharing from the start. At this time, it seems support has been decaying, not the other way around. Peth himself might have a challenge fundraising, which is why he needs to focus on that.

I can hardly see how anyone whoā€™s been here for just a month, and still learning about what MG does and how things work, can do this efficiently. First of all itā€™s not like this is easy to fundraise for, and people want to start seeing results. Theyā€™ll have challenging questions to gauge if after 3 years MGā€™s offerings will take off and real value will be provided to the space. If Peth properly coached you in how to talk about MG and answer the tough questions, Iā€™d give it a bigger probability for success. Unfortunately that also takes time away from him, and we donā€™t want that, nor do we know about his ability to successfully transfer this knowledge, and I donā€™t even see this being suggested as part of the preparation.

Providing you with 50% upfront under the circumstances Iā€™ve described, doesnā€™t sound like a smart investment. I also donā€™t think we want to set that precedent for other people to start asking the same. Besides, that was suggested for people who would otherwise have no chance of affording the trip, and I donā€™t see thatā€™s been established as your current situation here. Weā€™re also not drowning in funds, and itā€™s not like itā€™s absolutely impossible to fundraise outside of conferences.

:arrow_right: That said: Repaying some % or all of your travel costs AFTER you successfully raised some amount during an event you attended, based on the suggestion of tiered reimbursement, sounds fair enough to me at this time :white_check_mark:

As a side note, the title apparently has been misleading and it should be ā€œRikaā€ instead of ā€œPethā€.

3 Likes

Hi Cami, I hear you and your concerns are valid. Although I have not spent much time in MetaGame, I have actively contributed, since 2018, to DAOs in the MetaFam so I have a good grasp of the ecosystem, ethos, and values. Iā€™m quickly catching up on MetaGame and by the time of the conference, in ~1.5 months, I should have a good-enough grasp on MetaGameā€™s use cases/value prop & will be able to formulate a pitch for investors. I donā€™t need to be up to speed on everything ā€“ just enough to form a cohesive and persuasive pitch and answer questions. Whatever I donā€™t know, I can always direct to the right people in MetaGame. If you want to help me get up to speed, please let me know! (As a seasoned member of MetaGame, your insights will be super helpful!)

Regarding payment, as previously agreed-upon, 50% will be paid up-front and 50% upon completion of agreed-upon metrics/results. If you want to help formulate these metrics/results, please let me know. (Once again, your insights will be super helpful!)

The title is actually a play on words. I meant that since Peth and I will be tag teaming fundraising (him at EthDenver & me at ETHPorto), I will help him turn his 3k of ETHDenver expenses into more $$ (profit). Sorry if itā€™s confusing!

Sorry Iā€™m missing where the 50% for your proposal was agreed upon if itā€™s still under voting?

I included it in the Proposalā€™s content and there was discussion about it in the comments. So the assumption is that people who vote are aware of the ā€˜strings attached.ā€™

I see itā€™s in the content of your proposal, which is under voting. I saw, as you say, that was just a suggestion in someone elseā€™s proposal. So I donā€™t see where the previous agreement in ā€œpreviously agreed uponā€ occurred. Anyway, that is where it falls for me.

@rikagoldberg628 You mentioned the strings attached in the content proposal. It sounds like both conditions will be applied: Tiered model AND 50% of agreed upon expenses are covered in-advance. Can you confirm?

Hey Rika! What is your fundraising experience? How much have you helped fundraise in the past and how?

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s right. Iā€™m asking for full expenses to be covered, with 50% paid in advance and 50% paid upon meeting results/metrics.

Iā€™ve attended conferences before on behalf of crypto startups Iā€™ve worked at and pitched people on our project. The most relevant time is when I did it at ETHBerlin for MyCrypto.

Ok. Any relevant numbers to share? Because this sounds more like bridge building.

1 Like