Global Search in MyMeta UI - making it work across the MetaGame universe

As we continue to build, expand and iteratively improve MyMeta, it’s starting to feel like users might want to use Search to sift through more than just the list of players, pretty soon (screenshot below).

The first obvious example are playbooks, and the Playbooks UI, that is being designed at the moment of writing this post. Another quest that might be impacted by what’s decided about Search is the Mega Menu, which might be the perfect “carrier” of this “global search” UI — perhaps similar to how it’s done here, in Discourse.

This goes first and foremost to our esteemed builders (@Michiel @dan13ram @dysbulic @jonathan_p @luxumbra) but everyone else should feel free to chime in, of course.

Here are some questions to consider:

1. Besides players and playbooks, what else could Search be useful for (within MyMeta)?
  2. Would it be feasible to build MyMeta Search to show both the stuff from MyMeta (“local results”) as well as any other type of content from other parts of the MetaGame universe (e.g. Wiki, Discourse, Notion, etc.) — all listed there in the Search Results page on MyMeta (which should be easy to design)?
  3. If we should pursue this idea of building the “global search” functionality, when should we do it? ASAP or is it fine if we do it at a later time?

Eager to hear your thoughts!

3 Likes

I definitely agree with global search.

There are a couple of things I think we need to consider on when and how we implement this.

1. Searching through playbooks and quests is quit an expensive task. To tackle this there are services like elastic search. We need to know if Hasura is already offering a service like this in its platform else we should add a service to our stack.

2. The timeline on when to implement this need to be discussed. I think it would be good to have a session (MetaGame wide) on where we want to go from here. @peth is the main factor in this. He already said he’s overthinking MetaGame as a whole and I really hope he’ll get some insides in Paris :slight_smile:
    Would be amazing if we are able to get some clear goals which we can plan and from where we can prioritize certain features (such as global search).

3. Ofcourse before we implement global search we first need to implement the Playbooks in MyMeta (although if someone is eager to pick up this feature it could already be implemented for players and quests but this again is prioritizing)

3 Likes

Thanks @Michiel. This was precisely the type of insights and feedback I was hoping for :+1:

Thanks for putting this up @Dave.
I think a global search would be amazing. On the technical side of things, I can’t offer any gems of insight beyond “I have heard of Elastic Search”, but to be able to search through our content from one location would be insanely helpful.

1. Ofcourse before we implement global search we first need to implement the Playbooks in MyMeta (although if someone is eager to pick up this feature it could already be implemented for players and quests but this again is prioritizing)

I feel that getting playbooks into MyMeta would also be a great win and will reduce the friction we currently have with publishing them to the wiki and address the unnecessary XP being earned through reviewing the PRs.

We have a few new builder octos onboarding who are keen to get stuck in, so it would be a good time to make use of the engaged energy and get a raid going if folks feel it is time.

2 Likes

Revisiting this topic with an update, and also to try and summarise our discussion so far.

The update
Udit Takkar is starting with initial implementation of Search.
For reference, here is the GitHub issue: https://github.com/MetaFam/TheGame/pull/813.

The desired outcome

“To be able to search for anything from anywhere.”

In practical terms, every page of MyMeta website would have the same global header, which contains a search field in its right-hand side, looking something like this.

Entering a search phrase into this search field, users would be able to find relevant:

1. Players & Patrons (username, name, wallet address…)
  2. Playbooks (title, content, tags…)
  3. Quests (title, content…)

From the design side, we will design a proper “Search results” page, with all states, cases, etc.
From the technical standpoint, this will likely be a much more complex question. But at least it seems like we’ve finally gotten the ball rolling with this one :raised_hands: