Feedback on MetaGame onboarding flow

Here’s some feedback I wanted to offer about the onboarding process. TL;DR is could be shortened + sequenced(!) and it would help to have raids explained more clearly and in detail.

1. I felt that the WTF is MetaGame? portion of the wiki could be optional. Most people here I imagine resonate with the vision already. I’ve noticed that people pop into the Discord without reading the wiki, which to me suggests it’s too long.

2. I felt that there wasn’t a clear step-by-step sequence to onboarding. I think that a detailed wiki is very useful, but maybe we need a separate and more sequential flow for onboarding. I think the “For Players” and “Introduction” could be combined into a “Start Here” page instead of the “Explore” button on the wiki homepage. It’s a great hook, it’s short and sweet, and says who exactly MetaGame is for.

3. It feels tedious to understand the state of raids. The process involved going through weeks of chat on the forum, that still didn’t necessarily lead anywhere. Also unclear what the priority of each raid was and how they fit together into a larger mission. It would be very very helpful to have a description of what the mission is, how this raid relates to it, and what the current state of the raid is. If we want to drive participation, it should be extremely easy to hop on board. This will also save a lot of time spent reexplaining things in the Discord.

4. Doesn’t seem to be a source of truth in regards to raids/quests. There’s State of Raids but also the Forum Board. If we could consolidate this into one space where players can find raids and quests to participate in, I think engagement would be higher and Discord would be less redundant. This also solves the previous point of confusion.

2 Likes

I think the exact mission statement could be clearer. Here’s a working one just to get the ideas rolling.

MetaGame was spawned to empower self-organizing digital and physical communities through a gamified experience that empowers coordination and incentivizes participation.

We seek to build a more inclusive economy by unlocking latent individual and collective capital.

1 Like

Thank you!

I felt that the WTF is MetaGame? portion of the wiki could be optional. Most people here I imagine resonate with the vision already. I’ve noticed that people pop into the Discord without reading the wiki, which to me suggests it’s too long.

It is optional :man_shrugging:. But I think I see what you mean… Eg. “Coming of MetaGame” might better fit into a “History of MetaGame” section, than being in the “WTF is MetaGame” section.
More cleaning up and making sections better defined is definitely needed.
Though I don’t think that’s the reason people drop in Discord first. It’s because our funnel sucks. Wiki was pretty much in-existent until about a week or two ago, and all the blog posts that we put out were always sending people directly to Discord :grimacing:

I felt that there wasn’t a clear step-by-step sequence to onboarding. I think that a detailed wiki is very useful, but maybe we need a separate and more sequential flow for onboarding. I think the “For Players” and “Introduction” could be combined into a “Start Here” page instead of the “Explore” button on the wiki homepage. It’s a great hook, it’s short and sweet, and says who exactly MetaGame is for.

Agree with this. “For Players”, “For Guilds” & “For Patrons” along with “How to Play” should probably be in it’s own section and “How MetaGame Works” left as a section for describing different pieces of the puzzle and how they interoperate.

It feels tedious to understand the state of raids. The process involved going through weeks of chat on the forum, that still didn’t necessarily lead anywhere. Also unclear what the priority of each raid was and how they fit together into a larger mission. It would be very very helpful to have a description of what the mission is, how this raid relates to it, and what the current state of the raid is. If we want to drive participation, it should be extremely easy to hop on board. This will also save a lot of time spent reexplaining things in the Discord.
Doesn’t seem to be a source of truth in regards to raids/quests. There’s State of Raids but also the Forum Board. If we could consolidate this into one space where players can find raids and quests to participate in, I think engagement would be higher and Discord would be less redundant. This also solves the previous point of confusion.

Agree with this too, it’s just harder than it seems. Thinking I should, to begin with, move the raid descriptions from under the Miro board, directly onto it. Will make it much easier to read & keep it up-to-date.
As for combining it all into one, I don’t think it’s possible. We have it there because that’s where it’s most easily observable. Then, each of the raids should have a place where it’s more elaborately explained (the forums) & a place where short updates and discussions are (discord since it’s easiest & that’s where most people are), but things tend to get lost there, so again, back to the forums.
So yeah… I don’t think it’s possible to really combine it into one, what could be done is the forums made clearer - but that’s then up to raid leads to keep their threads updated, which is stupidly hard to enforce.

I think the short term solution is to make it much clearer that the way to up-to-date info on a project isn’t to dig through the forums and scroll through Discord, but simply contact the person connected to the raid and ask “what’s the status?”

Long term, make it mandatory for team leads to keep their forum threads updated else lose Seeds?

I agree. Plus if a project begins to pick up excitement, that will pressure/incentivize the contact to keep things updated such that they don’t have to reexplain the status to everyone.

This small difference would be a huge improvement. If you can take the Miro cards and turn them into a home base that has a description, purpose, contact, and link to forum and Discord channel, there becomes a reliable reference point.

Agreed. I think a good place to start is to break down what the goals of the wiki are, and use those hyper specific priorities to guide the structure.

For example:

• Provide a clear sequence to educate newcomers on how to participate.
  • Explain who MetaGame is for through MetaGame’s mission and it’s space in web3 as briefly as possible that is approachable to as many people as possible (saving technical talk for later).
  • Provide a richer history/philosophy of MetaGame for those who are interested.
  • Provide a clear route for related projects to connect with MetaGame.
1 Like

I agree. Plus if a project begins to pick up excitement, that will pressure/incentivize the contact to keep things updated such that they don’t have to reexplain the status to everyone.

Ha! Good point, yeah that’s great. A self enforcing guideline :joy:

This small difference would be a huge improvement. If you can take the Miro cards and turn them into a home base that has a description, purpose, contact, and link to forum and Discord channel, there becomes a reliable reference point.

Got started with this!

Agreed. I think a good place to start is to break down what the goals of the wiki are, and use those hyper specific priorities to guide the structure.

• Provide a clear sequence to educate newcomers on how to participate.
  • Explain who MetaGame is for through MetaGame’s mission and it’s space in web3 as briefly as possible that is approachable to as many people as possible (saving technical talk for later).
  • Provide a richer history/philosophy of MetaGame for those who are interested.
  • Provide a clear route for related projects to connect with MetaGame.

Def, only the “for players” funnel is somewhat built, the other two are pretty much at 0%. We should focus more on onboarding guilds after the hackathon, and the “patrons” funnel will be greatly updated as soon as the Seed market is up.
Explaining more about the mission and philosophy is a great chunk of my “to-do” list for content :sweat_smile:
Which one of these do you think should be expanded next? (or if you had anything else more specific in mind?)

Not sure, it all looks compelling. I’m happy to help out with writing and submit drafts for topics if you place this outline somewhere.

Also, this looks like a great opportunity to release a book of short essays as an experiment in community publishing…

I also could help with a basic onboarding for guilds. I’ll get some content going.

Here is restructured version of the Wiki that I hope can provide a clearer onboarding flow, while also pointing players to longer reads/docs if they want.

I will be adding back Guild and Patron pages next.

2 Likes

Thank you for doing this!
But I do have
Tbh my main problem with it is that it’s too many changes at the same time, making it hard to give feedback :sweat_smile:
Probably could have saved a lot of time by doing it more incrementally or at least asking more questions about what the purpose behind the wiki & the current structure is, before changing everything. :grimacing: :joy:

• Seems like you made it really biased towards new players, vs keeping it sensible for existing players, by renaming & rearranging all existing sections rather than changing the starting one & maybe splitting some things into others.
    For example “MetaGame Docs” section doesn’t make any sense image.
    Probably because you thought the main usecase is to onboard new players, vs. being a knowledge base for doing things & building guilds?
    “How MetaGame Works” definitely needed to stay as a section, so does “For Players” & “For Guilds” (though I wanted to rename it to “Guilding”)

• You completely gutted the “How MetaGame Actually Works” post, turned into a navigational post & renamed it to “Explore The MetaVerse”.
    Which makes complete sense from your perspective, but that’s because you don’t know there’s this interactive map coming in the next PR :sweat_smile::

Submit a PR and let’s see what makes most sense to merge :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is an updated version where I implemented your suggestions:

• Changed MetaGame Docs back to How MetaGame Works since the content is the same. I was trying to make it clear where to start, but should be fine with the Start Here section :joy:.

• Changed Philosophy of MetaGame back to WTF is MetaGame?.

• Added How MetaGame Actually Works post back into the How MetaGame Works section.

• Added the image you previously posted into the Explore the MetaVerse section.

This time around I structured the changes basically as an additional flow for new players instead of reinventing the wheel. All the original content should be as is, with the addition of the Start Here and navigational Explore the MetaVerse section (not sure if MetaVerse is the right word, so think of that as a placeholder.

2 Likes